Hi, we are Julie and Carlos – welcome to Our Global Trek!
This is a place where we can share our travel stories in a way that we have never done before – not just with friends and family, but with anyone out there who has ever dreamed about seeing the world with their own eyes. Now, a little more about our story…
- was born and raised in Brazil, but doesn’t know how to play football or samba
- has lived in 3 continents and visited 65 countries
- is the main photographer of the blog
- loves caipirinhas, dogs and the ocean
- was born in China, raised in Canada, but went to school in the USA
- has lived in 3 continents and visited 63 countries
- is the main writer of the blog
- loves noodles, sleep and gift wrapping
- met studying abroad in Zurich, Switzerland
- share our love of good food, the outdoors, and learning new things
- have visited all 7 continents and want to continue exploring
- are excited to share our travel stories with you!
Our Current Trek
We are in the midst of what we’re fondly referring to as “The Great Expedition” – the trip of our dreams to many bucket list destinations, criss-crossing the world. So far, it’s been a wild ride!
The highlight has been our top destination – Antarctica (!!!) – during which we:
- Took a dream 3-week cruise through the Falkland Islands, South Georgia, and the Antarctica Peninsula
- Saw more than a million penguins of all different species total
- Survived the polar plunge in a snowstorm and near freezing water
“The Great Expedition” began in Africa, where we:
- Went on safari in Kenya as well as safari in Tanzania in incredible places like the Masai Mara and the Serengeti
- Perched on the edge of Victoria Falls, looking down the massive waterfall in Zambia
- Soaked up the sun in the paradise of the Seychelles
- Travelled overland by truck through Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia and South Africa
Then in South America, we:
- Marvelled at the remote and mysterious moai in Easter Island
- Hiked the Torres del Paine “W Trek” over 5 days
- Beach-hopped in southern Brazil, where Carlos grew up
- Came face-to-face with the massive Perito Moreno glacier in Patagonia
After a brief interlude in Portugal, our adventures continued. We then:
- Met up with our friends and rang in the new year in Morocco
- Completed the ultimate pilgrimage in the Holy Land in Israel
- Awed over Jordan’s historic and natural wonders (Petra!)
- Finally saw the ancient civilizations in Egypt
Visiting all seven continent was achieved in Oceania, where we:
- Frolicked in idyllic islands in Fiji
- Lived #vanlife for two weeks in South Island New Zealand
- Toured overwater bungalows and petted stingrays in the true paradise of French Polynesia
Keep following us for the next adventure!
Our Previous Treks
Our first ever big trek was the start of this site: from summer 2014 to spring 2016, we went on a journey throughout Asia! With a rough plan of where we wanted to go as well as these goals in mind, we left home with only the backpacks and what little we packed on our backs. Everyday was both incredibly challenging and rewarding.
Our Asia Year in Review has a comprehensive look back on our epic adventure. Read about our top Asia destinations as well as a breakdown of our budget and exactly how much it cost us. Here’s some “wisdom” we gathered along the way!
Starting in Hong Kong and Macau, our Asia Year saw us extensively travel through Taiwan, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, Myanmar, Nepal, India, Sri Lanka, Maldives, the Philippines, Indonesia, Singapore and Malaysia. Check out the Travel Blog tab for all the places! We look forward to growing the list and recording our every move.
For everyone curious about travel, please follow us! Follow us on Instagram, like us on Facebook, (we’re on Twitter and Pinterest, too) subscribe to our newsletter or send us an email. Oh, and we love hearing any comments you may have on our posts.
Julie and Carlos